Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A few weeks of an inspiration what next?

It has been a while since I've posted and I certainly owe a few weeks worth of inspirations. I can't believe I still haven't posted about my first solo art opening. I had so much arty adrenaline preparing for my show that I think I've just been needing to deflate and recenter for the next body of work to emerge. And that body of work needs to emerge NOW because I have so many upcoming events I'm participating in:
East Austin Studio Tours
Blue Genie Art Bazaar
Handmade Austin Women
...to name a few
It's an odd thing...to start a new body of work. I go to the paper and the blank sheet all the sudden feels intimidating...not as inviting as it once seemed. I dabble in something new...I dabble in repeating what has worked in the past...and wait for them to merge...waiting for the new language to reveal itself. Is it possible that I am not making a new body of work at all? Could it be that I am letting the circumstance of a show date and framing signify an end that is only imagined? What if I happened to frame and hang some work in the middle of the body? If I believe that, does the blank page soften for me? Does it no longer intimidate me?

I don't quite know what my next drawings look like. Only pieces.

So, I have been going inward...looking around for what plans on coming out. And then, of what reveals itself, what will grow and what will be eliminated?

I recently went to see Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, speak at the Paramount Theater with a dear friend of mine. She wrote one of the most successful books of all time and spoke about what it felt like to know that while trying to write the next book. She was nothing short of genius, articulate, and down right funny. And most importantly, she validated so many feelings for me. Now, my solo show was no masterpiece like Eat, Pray, Love...but usually when I complete something artistic that I am proud of...there are lots of awkward feelings of fear and...blankness perhaps...that are very specific to creation.

I share with you Elizabeth Gilbert as my 3 weeks of lost weekly inspiration. Whether or not you create art, this is worth watching. While she speaks about her experience of being a writer, ultimately this is about life and I think what she says is beautiful.

When you have 20 minutes, please watch this. It has truly been an inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really excellent piece of inspiration there. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete